“Unprotected sex with another male”

Hi Sir, I am male and am very tense as I had unprotected sex with unknown male- I even had bleeding after that. When should I have the HIV test? What is the cost of it?


Thank you for trusting me with your question. Since you had unprotected sex, you are potentially at risk for HIV and should get tested. You should try not to get too worried since you do not know if your partner has HIV and more likely than not, you do not HIV. Even if you do have HIV, there are treatments you can take and still live a long and healthy life and there is always counselling and support available. It often takes time for antibodies against HIV to present themselves, but by three months after infection, antibodies are present for almost all people. Therefore, you can go for a test now, but if it is negative, you should still get tested again three months after you had unprotected sex. There is a list of testing centres available on our website. If you come to our office (Deep Griha Society, 13 Tadiwala Rd), or to one of the other testing centres on our website, it is available for free. You should definitely get tested and should also make sure to use a condom in the future, so that you do not put yourself at risk. I hope that this information is helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Punewali

Comments are closed.